Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Among the bibliotropes

Amazon.com: Among Others (9780765321534): Jo Walton: Books

“Bibliotropic,” Hugh said. “Like sunflowers are heliotropic, they naturally turn towards the sun. We naturally turn towards the bookshop.”
If you are more or less Jo Walton's age, and you were discovering what are now SF classics, you will enjoy this. I am a little younger, but given the translation lag I was subject to living in a non-English-reading country, I have lived some of these moments at the same age of the main character: the disappointment for the then new Heinlein, the surprise of the Hitchhiker's Guide...

Non-bibliotropes might find this a lot less interesting. Yes, it's coming of age, and light fantasy, until the very end confounded by the narrator's personal obsessions and, perhaps, coping strategy for the pain she has to endure. But I wonder what the book will feel like to those for whom lots of the narrative will be drowned in a list of names, titles and characters they never heard of. All I can say is, I feel sorry for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment